Since 1983, the PEF Impact Grant Program has given $3,898,639 to teachers, administrators, and parents to fund projects not covered in the school budget. The purpose of these grants is to reward innovative academic programs and foster excellence in education benefiting all Petaluma area students.
During COVID-19 we partnered with our districts and principals to identify how PEF can increase our support of local students and schools at this very challenging time. As a result of these many discussions, we made important changes to our traditional PEF Impact Grant Program for the 2020-2021 school year. These changes offered targeted support to teachers and students as they navigated distance learning, on-campus instruction, or a hybrid of the two formats.
The two most commonly shared funding needs of all districts for 2020-2021 are Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) and Technology (access and devices). PEF’s Grant Program temporarily shifted from funding a variety of academic programs to support these two focus areas. Awards were up to $5,000 per grant request. This adjustment provided support earlier in the year and increased the number of grants selected for funding at this challenging time.
For the 2021-2022 academic year, PEF will return to our traditional model of supporting programs across all academic focus areas with grant awards of up to $15,000 per program. Applications are due no later than September 29, 2021. For more information, please contact PEF’s Program Director Katy Verke.
ELIGIBILITY: Principals with groups of teachers in TK-12 public, charter, and not-for-profit private schools in the Petaluma Area are eligible for the PEF Grant Program. All grant applications must be approved and signed by the site principal(s). Elementary schools are eligible to apply for one award and secondary schools are eligible to apply for two.
PEF believes it is our responsibility to observe and evaluate each awarded grant as an on-going process throughout the academic year. We work with our school partners to ensure the awarded grants are implemented as described in the application and record the outcomes to demonstrate the ongoing impact
PEF awarded over $200,000 in PEF Impact Grants during the 2019-2020 school year include:
- Leveraging Literacy at La Tercera Elementary: $11,682
- Filling the Tank/STEAM at Wilson School: $5,891
- McNear Reading Center at McNear Elementary: $15,000
- Diverse Classroom libraries at Penngrove Elementary: $5,865
- Building the Body/Physical Education at McDowell Elementary: $8,293
- Core Subject Support/Technology at Petaluma Adult School (high school-aged students): $8,931
- Dual Immersion Library Program with Kenilworth /Casa Grande at Loma Vista School: $15,000
- Revamp & Reboot/Technology at Sonoma Mountain Elementary: $10,681
- Social-Emotional Bundles for Student Development at Grant School: $ 8,653
- 3D Printing Access for All Students at Petaluma High: $1,760
- Breakout Edu/ at McKinley school: $4,290
- Math & Science Pedagogical Tech at harvest Christian School: $14,977
- No Place for Hate at Waugh District Schools Meadow and Corona Creek): $6,000
- Earth Systems Studies at Live Oak Charter School: $15,000
- Expanding Capacity at PHS Wildlife Museum at Petaluma High: $7,523
- Phase II of St. Vincent Elementary STEM Initiative funded by Clover Sonoma: $20,000